Aaaaaaand, it's sold!
Based on the epic "Two Best Sisters play Portal 2" by 2snacks, completely without his knowledge or consent! Yay! ...ooooh. Right. Sorry 'bout that.
Here's the link: [link]
So! There it is! Finally! My first attempt at resin casting something pony! I've been working on and off (though mostly off) on this thing for months now, and I can say it's been educational. For instance I've learned that:
1) If you're gonna try casting, decide so beforehand! Don't make a clay model on a whim, and then decide: "Hey, wouldn't it be cool if I could cast this in resin?"
2) Alicorns are hard to make! They've got all horns and wings and tiaras and wavy manes and stuff. Yikes. Not good practise for a relative noob like me.
3) I may have some kind of OCD. At one point you just have to say: "Ok, that's it, good enough is good enough."
4) I'm a modeler, not an artist. A lifetime of reproducing tiny air- and spacecraft as accurately as possible have left me somewhat... artistically challenged. I'll have to work on that. Less Twilight, moar Rarity, so to speak.
Anyway, down to specs: It's cast from polyurethane resin in a series of silicone molds that I made from a clay master. I wasn't really planning that at first. I started on a whim, without any real kind of plan, but as the clay models got more and more elaborate the idea of making silicone molds seemed super awesome. So in the end, I ended up cutting the clay master to pieces again when I finished, and made molds for the seperate parts. Put the finished parts together with glue, filler, then sanded and sprayed with primer.
Sprayed Celestia with acrylic, Luna with model paint. Did Celestia's hair by hand. Painted the sofa with a course brush, painting several layers cross-wise to give it a textile look. Ended up pretty good. Basically, this whole thing was one big experiment, but I think it was a successful one.